14 September 2015

Parrot Sketch

Parrot Sketch
7" x 5"
Graphite on paper


On a recent trip to the Abilene, Texas zoo, I took photographs of their parrots and made a sketch, using one of the photos as reference. The colors are brilliant blue and yellow-gold. My plan is to make a small acrylic painting of this bird and use a bit of artistic license with the colors. Our local art show is having its yearly open show soon and one category is mini-art. When our group has a mini category, a color is assigned and the work must be predominantly that color. This year it is turquoise, which isn't too far off from the color of the parrot, so I decided to try painting this one turquoise and add turquoise to the background as well. This will be my first work done in acrylics and I have been spending time playing with them on a canvas pad. This piece may never work out in acrylic, but it will be a fun experiment and I should learn a lot about how to handle the medium. If it works out, I will be sure and post the finished painting.


Contact me through the Contact Form in the blog sidebar.
Please include my name and the title of the artwork in the subject line.

No comments:

Post a Comment